Welcome

My 13-yr old daughter and I have resolved to try one new dinner recipe each week for the entire year. She will pick the recipe, shop for the recipe and I will assist her in making the recipe. I am excited to see her cooking skills increase and to spend time with her. I hope you will join us on this adventure.



Friday, January 28, 2011

Recipe #7 - Put The Lime on The Coconut Cookies

Hello All!  Sorry for the lapse in additions.  Taylor had a play last week and that consumed all of our time.  She was spectacular, but it has been a long week getting back into a routine.  However, yesterday I found inspiration in an unusual place.  My local hometown grocery store, Douglas Grocery gives out weekly, inspiration oriented pamphlets.  I had picked one up the week before, but as a busy life often demands, I threw it in the garbage without reading it.  This week I overheard two women discussing it - one enjoyed the crossword puzzle and the other enjoyed the RECIPES.  Now I had to read this weeks edition.  It was there that I found this little gem of a recipe.  I renamed it because this was the little jingle annoying me when I made them. 80)

Put The Lime On The Coconut Cookies

Crust:
1 stick margarine, melted
2 TBS brown sugar
1 1/4 c. flour

Filling:
1 c. brown sugar
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 c. walnuts, chopped
1 c. flaked coconut
2 eggs, well beaten

Icing:
1 TBS lime juice
1 TBS margarine, melted
3/4 to 1 c. powdered sugar

In a large bowl, mix together the margarine and 2 TBS brown sugar.  Add flour and mix well.  Spread evenly in a greased 9x9 baking pan, pressing firmly.  Bake at 350 degrees for 5 minutes.  Mix together well, 1 c. brown sugar, baking powder, salt, walnuts and coconut.  Add 2 well-beaten eggs and mix well.  Spread over the crust and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.  While still warm, pour icing made from icing ingredients.  Cool and cut into bars.

These are really hard to tell when they were done.  Mine were a little underdone.  They tasted fine, but I would bake them for the full 25 minutes or even 30.  Just watch the top closely so it doesn't get too brown or burn if you go more than 25 minutes.

What did I think? These were almost perfect. I already mentioned mine were underdone and so the brown sugar didn't melt and become chewy all the way through.  There was definitely a grainy texture with the sugar.  The icing added a tart little zing to the cookie. I'm not gonna lie though.  I prefer these without the icing.  They would be delicious with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.  You could even squeeze some lime juice over the ice cream.  There is always the option to use lemon also, but then they don't sound nearly as cool.  I will definitely make these again.  They combine two of my favorite things - shortbread crust and coconut.

What did The Critic think?  If his face was any indication when he tasted the icing, then he would have hated these.  I assumed he would not want to taste these because he doesn't like coconut really.  So when he told me they would be much better if I put regular powdered sugar icing on them, I ignored him.  He wasn't too enthused by decision.  I had to agree that I was a bit of a jerk.  Mostly because I wanted to do it the way I wanted.  Don't worry...I apologized!  He enjoyed this cookie more than I thought he would.  He even conceded that the lime wasn't as strong once the icing was on the cookie.  He would eat these again.  I will keep them plain and make him some icing to drown his in. 

Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment