Welcome

My 13-yr old daughter and I have resolved to try one new dinner recipe each week for the entire year. She will pick the recipe, shop for the recipe and I will assist her in making the recipe. I am excited to see her cooking skills increase and to spend time with her. I hope you will join us on this adventure.



Sunday, January 16, 2011

Recipe #6 - Best Ever Chocolate Cake

It was the name of this cake that made me want to make it.  "Best Ever" is an almost impossible expectation to uphold.  Especially because I am pretty sure I have discovered the "Best Ever" chocolate cake recipe already.  It doesn't set itself up for failure though.  It calls itself "Sinful Chocolate Cake"!  And it is sinful and moist and chocolaty and rich and scrumptious and decadent and did I say DELICIOUS?  Don't worry...I will include that recipe too!  Let's get back to Mr. Best Ever.

The first thing about this recipe that concerned me was it started with the dry ingredients, instead of creaming the shortening and sugar.  I have never seen a recipe like it before.  But I was determined to follow the directions in the recipe instead of playing expert.  So I did.  There were some problems that I ignored. 

Problem #1 - The cake batter "broke".   This means that the fat, shortening in this case separated from the rest of the batter.  I thought it didn't look right, but at that point I just had to go with it and see what happened. 

Problem #2 - Both round cakes sunk in the middle.

I had to do some research into why this happened.  I consulted my copy of "The Cake Bible" and discovered possible causes.  It said that my oven was not hot enough.  You all don't know my oven, but it is overly hot.  I usually have to decrease the temperature or the baking time of things so I don't burn them.  I kept researching because that sounded lame.  Another possibility was I added cold eggs at the end.  Yes the recipe called for the eggs last! I don't know either?!?!  Lastly, it was possible I beat it too long.  The recipe calls for  beating the batter for 2 minutes, adding the eggs and beating another 2 minutes.  It seemed abnormally long to me, but I did what the recipe said. 

My last problem came in the making of the frosting.

Problem #3 - The frosting had clumps of cocoa powder in it.

I know...I know!  I had this problem the last time I made chocolate frosting.  You would think that I would have corrected the problem this time.  Folks...sift the cocoa powder into the bowl!  This will solve the problem and maybe the next time I make chocolate frosting I will remember my own little tip.

What did I think? Despite the problems I encountered, this cake is definitely giving the Sinful Chocolate Cake a run for its money. It was moist, except for the edges.  It had a great chocolate flavor due to the coffee.  I have never used coffee before, but it definitely deepened the flavor.  The frosting is still not the perfect chocolate frosting, but it was a compliment to the cake.  I am on a search for the perfect chocolate frosting recipe. 

With that said...I will make this cake again and perfect the recipe.  It has too much potential to cast it aside yet.  The critic has not taste tested it yet, but I will add his comments after the next making of the cake.

The Best Ever Chocolate Cake

2 c. flour
2 c. sugar
1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. vegetable shortening
1 c. milk
1/2 c. cold black coffee
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.  In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. 

2.  Beat in the shortening with an electric mixer on low speed.  Beat in milk, coffee and vanilla until combined.  Increase speed to high and beat for 2 minutes.  Add eggs; beat for 2 minutes.

3.  Pour the batter into the prepared pans; smooth with a spatula.  Make the cakes in the middle of the oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30-25 minutes (my oven took 22 minutes).  Cool the cakes in the pans for 5 minutes, then turn the cakes onto wire racks to cool completely.

Frosting

1 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 c. softened butter
1/2 c. light corn syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 c. warm water
4 c. powdered sugar

1. Combine the cocoa powder, butter, corn syrup, vanilla and salt in a large bowl.  Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.  Add the warm water; mix well.  Beat in the powdered sugar in two batches.  Beat until smooth.

Sinful Chocolate Cake

1 Devils Food Cake Mix
1 Brownie Mix (9x13)
1 c. mayo
2 c. water
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Stir by hand all ingredients.  Do Not Use A Mixer...your cake will overflow!  Grease and flour one angel food cake pan.  Pour batter into pan and bake for approximately 60 min.  or until toothpick comes out clean.  Cool the cake in the pan for 20 minutes and then remove from pan. 

**Don't skip flouring the pan.  The cake will stick otherwise.

Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment