Welcome

My 13-yr old daughter and I have resolved to try one new dinner recipe each week for the entire year. She will pick the recipe, shop for the recipe and I will assist her in making the recipe. I am excited to see her cooking skills increase and to spend time with her. I hope you will join us on this adventure.



Friday, January 14, 2011

Recipe #3 - Christmas Cinnamon Rolls


Samantha loves cinnamon rolls.  I buy them for her almost every time she visits.  So prior to her last visit I found a recipe I wanted to try.  Here it is:

Christmas Cinnamon Rolls from Hometown Recipes For The Holidays Cookbook - submitted by Connie Lahey

Rolls
2  c. milk
2 1/4-oz packages active dry yeast
1/2 c. shortening
1/2 c. granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 T salt
7 - 8 c. flour

Syrup
1 16oz package light brown sugar
1/2 c. white corn syrup
1/2 c. milk
1/4 c. (1/2 stick) butter
1 1/2 c. chopped pecans (optional)

Filling
1/4 c. butter, softened
1/2 c. margarine, softened
1 1/3 c. light brown sugar
2 T + 2 t ground cinnamon

1. To prepare rolls, heat the milk in a small saucepan until scalded and set aside to cool to 110 degrees.  Dissolve the yeast in 1/4 c. warm water (105 - 115 degrees) in a small bowl.

2. Cream the shortening and sugar in a large bowl, using a mixer at medium-high speed, until light and fluffy.  Beat in the eggs and salt.  Add the yeast mixture and warm milk.  Reduce the mixer to medium speed and gradually add 3 cups of the flour, 1 cup at a time until a stiff dough forms.

3. Turn the dough onto a floured work surface and knead for about 5 minutes until smooth and elastic.  Place the dough in a large greased bowl, turning once to coat both sides.  Cover and place in a warm area until doubled in size, 1 - 2 hours.

4. To prepare the syrup, combine the light brown sugar, corn syrup, milk and butter in a medium saucepan.  Cook over medium heating, stirring constantly, just until the sugar is dissolved.  Do not boil.  Set aside to cool.

5. Lightly coat 3-5 8 inch round pans with non-stick cooking spray.  Pour 5 tablespoons of the syrup in each pan and sprinkle with pecans, if using over each pan. Punch down the dough and knead two or three times.  Divide the dough into 4 pieces, keeping each covered until used.

6. To prepare the filling, combined the softened butter and margarine in a small bowl; mix well.  Combine the brown sugar and cinnamon with the butter mixture.

7. Working with 1/4 of the dough at a time, roll it into a 19x24 inch rectangle.  Spread 1/4 of the butter/sugar mixture evenly over the dough. Drizzle with 2-3 tablespoons of the syrup.

8. Roll up the dough jelly-roll style, starting at the small end and pinching the seam seal.  Slice* into 15 pieces and place in pan, cut side down.  Repeat with the remaining dough and filling.  Cover and let rise in a warm place for about 1 hour until double in size.

9.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Bake for 18 minutes, or until golden brown.  Do not overbake.  Remove from the oven, let stand for 5 minutes, and invert onto plates.

*I use dental floss to slice mine.  It doesn't squish the rolls like a knife does.  I must also give credit to my Grandmother for that little trick.

I did make some changes to this recipe.  I didn't put syrup in one of the pans because Samantha likes glaze on her cinnamon rolls.  It only took me 3 pans but the recipe said to use 5.  I encountered a couple of problems because I thought I was smarter than the recipe.  I didn't measure the syrup and just dumped a bunch in the pan.  Consequently, my cinnamon rolls were soggy in the middle.  So definitely follow the recipe and measure the syrup.  I also think I didn't let them rise long enough.  They seems to be really small once they were baked.  I won't be sure until I make them a second time.  So don't be me and think you can outsmart the recipe and more is NOT better.  I know that the dough is beautiful in the recipe.  I haven't made much bread to date, so I am not the expert.  I do know that it was easy to work with and roll out.  That's my very low criteria for beautiful dough.

Happy baking!  Stay tuned for Taylor's Shrimp Creole review.  It's hot and waiting as we speak.   

No comments:

Post a Comment