Welcome

My 13-yr old daughter and I have resolved to try one new dinner recipe each week for the entire year. She will pick the recipe, shop for the recipe and I will assist her in making the recipe. I am excited to see her cooking skills increase and to spend time with her. I hope you will join us on this adventure.



Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Recipe #1 - Italian Sausage Soup

First new recipe of the year - Italian Sausage Soup and the critic has spoken!

3.75 out of 5 stars

For those of you who do not know my husband then let me start by saying he might be the pickiest eater I have ever met.  I on the other hand have a much broader palate.  It is one of the few things we are not compatible in.  So I recruited him to be the critic.  So keep in mind that the critic is a picky eater!  Hopefully you do not have the same problem in your family!

Recipe
5 Italian sausage links (4 oz each), sliced  (16 oz. turkey sausage)
1 large onion, halved and sliced (diced)
6 c. water
1 28oz can crushed tomatoes, undrained (2-14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes w/ jalapenos)
2 small zucchini, quartered and sliced (replaced with 5 diced mushrooms and 1c. corn)
1/2 c. chopped green pepper
1 TBS beef bouillon granules
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. dried oregano (used 1 tsp Italian Seasoning for both spices)
1/4. tsp pepper
3 oz. uncooked linguine broken into 2 in. pieces
3 TBS grated Parmesan cheese (I forgot this when I served it)

In a dutch oven, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink; drain.  Stir in the water, tomatoes, zucchini, green pepper, bouillon, basil, oregano and pepper.  Bring to a boil.  Stir in linguine.  Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until linguine is tender.  Sprinkle with cheese.

**I used my slow cooker.  It took approximately 4 hours for the flavors to blend and come to a boil.  Linguine cooked perfect in the slow cooker.

So what did I think?  I would make this again.  It was a nice change from the standard vegetable or chicken noodle soups.  I loved how the linguine absorbed the flavor of the soup.  I would have put zucchini in, but I thought I might be pushing the critic.  I also like that it was adaptable to what I had on hand.  Keep in mind the jalapenos added the spice to mine, but if you use Italian sausage that will add the spice to yours.  I chose a lighter version of sausage, which I will continue to do.  I also like that it can be made quickly or in your slow cooker.  I like the slow cooker because I think it gave the soup a better blending of the flavors.  So my recommendation would be...if your meal times are hectic...throw this together the night before and turn it on before leaving for work.  If you are home during the day, throw it together about 1pm and it will be ready by 5:30 or 6!  Good luck and I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment