Welcome

My 13-yr old daughter and I have resolved to try one new dinner recipe each week for the entire year. She will pick the recipe, shop for the recipe and I will assist her in making the recipe. I am excited to see her cooking skills increase and to spend time with her. I hope you will join us on this adventure.



Friday, January 14, 2011

Recipe #5 - Belizean Banana Bread

This is not a new recipe, but one I absolutely have to share.  My parents went to Belize a couple of years ago and brought a cookbook back for me.  It is from the Hidden Valley Inn in Belize.  Here it is:

Banana Bread

1 1/2 sticks margarine
1 c. sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 c. very ripe banana
2 c. sifted flour
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 c. evaporated milk
1 c. Hersheys cinnamon chips (optional)

Cream butter and sugar.  Add eggs, vanilla and bananas.  Sift flour, salt and soda together.  Add to mixture alternating with the milk.  Pour into a loaf pan.  Bake at 325 degrees for approx. 1 hour.

I added the cinnamon chips as a last minute addition.  It made a subtle delicious flavor to the bread.  I will continue to add this to mine in the future.  The cinnamon chips are sometimes hard to find in grocery stores.  So when you find some, stock up!  I also double my batch and bake them in miniature loaf pans.  They make great gifts.  I just package and freeze them.  If I make large loaves then it goes to waste in my family.  This truly is the moistest bread I have ever had.

The true testimony was my husband, who told me he didn't want to try it because it wasn't really his thing.  But I think he started to feel guilty, so he tried it.  Then I watched him disappear into the kitchen several times.  He ate two loaves himself that night and has went on to polish off the other three loaves I kept out.  If you ask him, he will tell you it sucks!  I always say actions speak far louder than words.

2 comments:

  1. You described me when you talked about your husband, Belizean men go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sonia is going to try this recipe, it look like it will be a tasty afternoon today..

    ReplyDelete