Welcome

My 13-yr old daughter and I have resolved to try one new dinner recipe each week for the entire year. She will pick the recipe, shop for the recipe and I will assist her in making the recipe. I am excited to see her cooking skills increase and to spend time with her. I hope you will join us on this adventure.



Thursday, February 3, 2011

Lessons Learned

I didn't feel like cooking dinner last night and I had to go pick up John from work.  So I tasked Taylor with making dinner.  We were having Sloppy Joes and french fries.  I made sure she had everything she needed and went out the door.  She is still mystified with the temperatures on the stove because she called me to ask what "number" she should put the burner on.  Reminds me of her first attempt at a quesadilla...and turning the stove on 8.  She couldn't figure out why her quesadilla was so "crispy".  I love that kid. 

So John and I come home and the sloppy joes are simmering in the skillet...thumbs up!  The french fries are sitting frozen on the cookie sheet.  I asked her if she planned on cooking them and she started stuttering and waving her hands in various directions.  We were waiting on the oven to preheat.  She says I guess we will have to microwave the sloppy joes or something since we had to wait on the fries. Did I mention I love that kid?  I showed her how to put them on low to simmer.  See I told you...mystified!

Eventually dinner did get done and it was good.  Tay and I talked about why this experience was important in her quest to know how to cook.  I asked her what she learned and she came up with all kinds of answers, but they were gibberish.  Eventually she figured out that cooking is about "multi-tasking".  Really loving that kid now!

Thank you Taylor for your delicious meal and your willingness to learn.  Now I wonder how long it will be before I hear "Mom...what number do I put it on?"

Happy Cooking

No comments:

Post a Comment