Welcome

My 13-yr old daughter and I have resolved to try one new dinner recipe each week for the entire year. She will pick the recipe, shop for the recipe and I will assist her in making the recipe. I am excited to see her cooking skills increase and to spend time with her. I hope you will join us on this adventure.



Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Recipe #9 - Paula Deen Baked Potato Soup

So I have had a craving for potato soup for months, but didn't make it because I thought The Critic didn't like it.  Turns out he does, so I made it tonight.  Potato soup always runs the risk of tasting bland, so I went with a tried and true chef - Paula Deen.  I am not going to say this is the healthiest soup, but it didn't lack flavor.  So if you are looking for a lowfat/low calorie soup this ain't it!  But if you are looking for comfort food, then this is definitely the ticket.

The Critic gave it 3.75 stars out of 5 on the "soup" scale. 

Here is the recipe:

Baked Potato Soup

Serves: 8
Cook Time: 20 Minutes

Ingredients


  • 8 slices Smithfield Naturally Hickory Smoked Bacon
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1/2 cup all purpose flour
  • 3 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
  • 5 potatoes, baked, peeled and diced
  • 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
  • 2 cups half & half
  • 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • Salt & pepper to taste (optional)

Steps


In a Dutch oven cook bacon until crisp; remove and crumble, reserve drippings.
Cook onion in bacon drippings until tender; stir in flour and cook for one minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add chicken broth; cook, stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly. Put in the diced potatoes, parsley, bacon and half & half; cook for 10 minutes. Stir in cheese and sour cream.


What did I think? I left out the sour cream in the end because I didn't think it needed it and it saved on some calories. I did not care for the bacon in it, but that is a personal preference.  If you are a fan of bacon you will love it.  I topped it with some French Fried Onions which I think added just the right amount of crunchy texture.  Again this is simply a preference. It was far better after a couple days also! Definitely a perfect soup for a cold winter night! 

1 comment:

  1. Best soup ever. My family loves this soup. I double the recipe and I still don't have left overs.

    ReplyDelete